Musings of a fickle mind

Thursday, March 11, 2010

American Idol Season 9 Review #6: Top 8 Boys

This was quite a bland night. Ok performances, but not one really great performance in my opinion.

Individual Critiques and Ratings:

Lee Dewyze (Fireflies - Owl City) This was Ok for Lee. Now, I thought that Lee actually brought a nice new rockish spin on the song. There were definitely some pitch problems, but they didn't matter much to me. I hope he sails through. :) Rating: 7.5/10

Alex Lambert (Trouble - Ray LaMontagne) Another OK performance. However, vocally, I don't think this performance was at par with "Everybody Knows" and even "Wonderful World." It seemed simple and short. Once again, I love his tone, but I hope he learns to take more risks if he makes it. He also seemed awkward once again on this performance. Loosen up kid! Be more legit! Lol :) Rating: 8/10


Tim Urban (Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley) Tim is actually stepping it up every week. I really really hated him before, but now he's starting to grow on me. I liked his song choice last week, and thought he did a good job this week with Hallelujah. I do have to say, however, that I prefer Jason Castro's and Alexandra Burke's versions better. Whether or not he deserves to make it, I think he stands a chance, but I honestly think that he may be in danger. Rating: 8/10

Andrew Garcia (Genie In A Bottle - Christina Aguilera) This did not work. I agree with Simon, he did seem desperate doing this. He just could not live up to the "Straight Up" moment back in Hollywood. I'm not really sure if he'll be able to reach that point anymore. :( He had such a high, and literally had a free fall...I think there's a big chance that he's getting the boot tomorrow. :/ Disappointed. Rating: 6/10

Casey James (You'll Think of Me- Keith Urban) I honestly liked Casey doing country. I loved the whole vibe of the performance. I thought he sounded good in this song. This was definitely a large jump from a generic and karaoke performance last week. A good performance from Casey! I think he's sailing through. Rating: 8.5/10

Aaron Kelly (I'm Already There - Lonestar) I love this song. I thought Aaron did OK with it. He still sounded quite shaky. However, like Casey, this was an improvement from last week. It was a bit of a corny song choice though...heheh.. but I have to admit, I like these kinds of corny and cheesy songs. hehe Rating: 7.5/10

Todrick Hall (Somebody to Love - Queen) Todrick really improved with this performance! He didn't do the annoying rearranging, and I thought he sounded good. However, I do have to agree with Simon...he seems so Broadway-ish..eheheh..He also seems Diva-ish..haha.. It was good, but I don't think it was enough for him to get into the Top 12. Rating: 7/10

Michael Lynche (This Woman's Work- Maxwell) I looooved this performance! It was really nice watching Michael commanding the stage once again. I don't like him that much...but I have to admit that he did really well here. I liked the long note..heheh . Excellent song choice. Without question, he had the best performance of the night. Lol at Kara crying. Rating: 9/10

Ranking based on ratings:

1. Michael Lynche
2. Casey James
3. Alex Lambert (eliminated)
4. Tim Urban
5. Lee Dewyze
6. Aaron Kelly
7. Todrick Hall (eliminated)
8. Andrew Garcia

:((( Todrick and Andrew are getting the boot if it was all based on my ratings. I think that Aaron and Tim may be in danger as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment