Musings of a fickle mind

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

American Idol Season 9 Review #3: Top 10 Boys

Supposedly the girls night to perform, the boys took the stage instead due to Crystal Bowersox’s health condition. Going straight to the point, most of the performances tonight were leagues better than last week’s. Below are my individual performance critiques.

Michael Lynche (It’s A Man’s World)- He actually did really well tonight. He was in his element. The song was quite bland, but was a great song choice for him, I believe. He displayed showmanship. Contrary to being an “opening” performer last week (according to Simon), tonight he seemed to be more like the lead. Good way start off the show. Rating: 8/10


John Park (Gravity by John Mayer)- This was a better song choice for John Park. He was ok, but he didn’t bring much. He didn’t add anything new to the song. He wanted to be genuine and authentic. Unfortunately, I could not believe it. Quite bland, sad to say, but miles better than last week’s performance. Rating: 6.5/10

Casey James (I Don’t Want to Be by Gavin DeGraw)- It was a good song choice. I could totally see him doing music like this on a future album. However, like John Park, I feel that he didn’t add anything new. Well, he did all the cool guitar tricks and stuff, however I think this is a big step back from his last performance. He created such a high for himself with “Heaven” that he failed going up from there. It was just ok. Rating: 7.5/10

Alex Lambert (Everybody Knows by John Legend)- Way better now. He seemed more confident and relaxed (probably because he had his guitar). Nevertheless, he really performed it tonight. Once again, he has a great and unique tone to his voice that I really like. He clearly stepped it up tonight! It was legit! My favorite performance of the night. :D Rating: 9/10

Todrick Hall (What’s Love Got to Do With It by Tina Turner)- STOP making song unrecognizable!!! Just sing!! Todrick clearly has a great voice, he just does not showcase it. I suggest, if he gets through to next week, that he just sing a simple song, not doing anything to the arrangement. I think he’s in danger though. :/ 5/10

Jermaine Sellers (What’s Going On by Marvine Gaye)- Jermaine has really really gone downhill from his audition. He tends to be screechy and boring now. I think he’s in danger as well. Pick the right song and don’t over sing. Rating: 5/10

Andrew Garcia (You Give Me Something by James Morrison)- Sorry to say, Andrew just couldn’t live up to the hype that the show built for him. I think he’s going to be like Ramiele Malubay in season 7, who started off really great, and went downhill starting top 24. This song showed the limits and weaknesses of Andrew’s voice. I guess his frontrunner status is fading. Love the song though! Rating: 7.5/10

Aaron Kelly (My Girl by the Temptations)-I honestly did not like this song choice for him. Although he brought something new to it and made it his own, I thought that the performance was a bit off and all over the place. He is good, and I personally see him going far in the competition, but he has to know what kind of music he wants to do and this song won’t help him. The song seemed old for him as well. I think he should’ve just done something more current in the Pop Country genre (something by Carrie Underwood or Lady Antebellum??). Rating: 7/5/10

Tim Urban (C’mon Get Higher by Matt Nathanson)- I liked the song choice, but I just didn’t feel the performance in general. He added nothing new to the song, but it was not a bad performance. I personally think he should’ve left last week. I fear that he will be staying for a while courtesy of the teen fan girl vote. Rating: 6/10

Lee DeWyze (Lips of an Angel by Hinder)- I thought Lee was overrated last week. However, tonight I do see the potential in Lee. This song by Hinder was a great choice for him. He even tried going out of his comfort zone by stepping out without a guitar …props to him for doing that! This performance felt real. I think he’s a dark horse, personally. Rating: 8/5/10


Here’s my ranking of the Top 10 boys based on the individual ratings:

1. Alex Lambert

2. Lee DeWyze

3. Michael Lynche

4. Aaron Kelly

5. Casey James

6. Andrew Garcia

7. John Park (eliminated)

8. Tim Urban

9. Jermaine Sellers (eliminated)

10. Todrick Hall

Based on my ratings, Jermaine and Todrick are goners. I personally think that John Park is in danger as well. I absolutely want Tim Urban to just go, but I think he’ll be saved by the “cute” vote or something.

2 comments:

  1. i hated how Andrew Garcia ruined my favorite James Morrison song. i'm thinking it's his enunciation of the lyrics that I found really off. X(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like how he hit the notes...it was really off....:O

    ReplyDelete