Musings of a fickle mind

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

American Idol Season 9 Review #5: Top 8 Girls

The night can be all summed up in Alex Lambert's face. Lol.

Individual performance critiques and ratings:

Katie Stevens (Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson) First of all, I thought Katie looked beautiful tonight. The performance, however, wasn't very good. I thought the song was too big for her. Her voice was a bit shaky at parts. :( I just don't think she knows who she is as an artist. She has a great voice, and was praised earlier in the competition by Kara, as the potential winner...However, this might be the end of the road for Katie :(((..and I'm very sad as well...I'm still keepin' my fingers crossed that she makes it. Save Katie, she has so much potential, she just needs time to grow!! Rating: 7/10


Siobhan Magnus (House of the Rising Sun - The Animals) This was another solid performance by Siobhan. Nevertheless, I think she's starting to be a bit old-fashioned. I think she needs to show her edgier side more often. Siobhan, please do something like "Living for the City"! :D She's sailing through to the Top 12! :D Rating: 8.5/10


Lacey Brown (The Story - Brandi Carlile) I absolutely LOOOOVE Brandi Carlile and this song!! :D I thought this was a great song choice for Lacey! And I agree with the judges, I could totally hear her voice in the radio right now. I'm not sure though if peaking this late in the competition will grant her a spot in the top 12. Let's just wait and see. Rating: 8/10


Katelyn Epperly (I Feel the Earth Move - Carole King) When I heard that she was doing Carole King, I was hoping that she was going to do the song "So Far Away." However, she ended up doing Carole's uptempo track. I thought she did OK, but this performance paled in comparison to her earlier performances. The judges are right, she did seem nonchalant. I couldn't see the determination in her, during the performance, that she wanted to make it into the Top 12. Nevertheless, I don't think the performance was as bad as the judges made it seem. It seemed that the judges were doing everything in their power to give her bad comments..Personally, she may also be in danger...I hope America sees beyond the judges' views, and realize that she is worthy of a spot in the Top 12! Not her best performance. Save Katelyn! Rating: 7.5/10


Didi Benami (Rhiannon- Fleetwood Mac) Didi finally gets praised by the judges. I thought this was indeed her element. However, I'm starting not to like her. I don't like how she tends to cry and everything.....and seem vulnerable. This was a good performance. I just hope that she faces criticisms with more strength. Rating: 8/10


Paige Miles (Smile- Charlie Chaplin) What happened to Paige?! She finally sings a ballad, but her voice sounded soooo bad. I didn't get it? Where's the "best voice" that Simon was always referring to? I thought she was going to be an underdog. She has officially sealed her fate. Bye Paige. Rating: 5.5/10


Crystal Bowersox (Give Me One More Reason- Tracy Chapman) I really liked this performance! I commend Crystal for her consistency...and her voice is just increadible! This was another solid and effortless performance from Crystal! She is obviously going to make it! However, I do wish starts coming out of her comfort zone..and perform without the guitar once in a while. Rating: 9.5/10


Lilly Scott (I Fall to Pieces - Patsy Cline) She indeed made another song current. However, to me, she's starting to sound the same every week??? It's like she's singing the same song. This was a good performance, but, like Crystal, she needs to step out of her comfort zone. Rating: 7.7/10

Ranking based on ratings:

1. Crystal Bowersox
2. Siobhan Magnus
3. Lacey Brown
4. Didi Benami
5. Lilly Scott (eliminated)
6. Katelyn Epperly (eliminated)
7. Katie Stevens
8. Paige Miles

Performance-wise, Katie and Paige are going home. I also think that Katelyn, Lilly and Lacey (despite her good performance) are in danger. Please save Katie and Katelyn!! :(

1 comment:

  1. Paige should definitely go after that. I think I'm starting to like Didi now because of her performance. And I have this feeling Katelyn's going to leave. :[

    ReplyDelete