Musings of a fickle mind

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

American Idol Top 20 Semifinals: Top 10 Girls

So we've made it to the live rounds. It's totally in America's hands right now...will America get it right? Here are my thoughts on the night's performances. All in all, i think it was a pretty good night. There were people who surprised me and people who totally let me down.

The Great

1. Kree Harrison "Stronger"- Ranking Kree at no. 1 is pretty much a biased decision on my part...but this is not to say that she didn't do amazing objectively. She gave a very solid performance of a well-known Faith Hill song. I also loved that she took liberties with the song--taking on notes that i've never heard her hit before. I'm looking forward to hearing more of Kree. I so hoooope she makes it to the top 10!

2. Candice Glover "Ordinary People"- I loved Candice singing this song..She took a John Legend song and made it her own. She has amazing vocal control as well....those runs and those notes...i'm kinda speechless like Nicki.

3. Amber Holcomb "I Believe In You and Me"- Amber is such a brave soul for taking on this Whitney classic.....and i have to say that she did not disappoint. She is once again on point with her vocals. She's such great technical singer... She reminded me a bit of Whitney Houston during her prime. However, i would have to agree with Keith that she didn't have to do so many runs.

4. Angie Miller "Never Gone"- Yay for Angie taking on a Colton Dixon song!!! This totally suited her voice. I loved that she was back on the piano as well. She always sings from the heart...so honest :))) she reminds me of Kelly Clarkson.

The Good

5. Tenna Torres "Lost"- Tenna really surprised me this week...she was at the bottom of my list last week..and it was because of her incredibly shaky vocals in last week's performance. This week she picked a song that really played to her strengths well. Her low notes were amazing. Her high notes were a bit screechy, but very controlled. She had some really good moments in this song..I loved how she made a recognizable country song her own. I think she might surprise us even more if she makes it to the top 10 (there's a chance..but i think she isn't that popular)

6. Aubrey Cleland "Big Girls Don't Cry"- Aubrey is gorgeous and very marketable. I think that her performance this week was so much better than last week's. Her voice is so sweet and her vibrato is beautiful. I want her in the top 10, but there are so many strong singers this year.

7. Janelle Arthur "If I Can Dream"- Janelle was much better this week. I think she's more of a traditional country singer than a pop country singer. She should stick to Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton or Loretta Lynn. I think that people like her and that she has a very good chance of making it to the next round. If she continues doing what she does best--sticking to traditional country---she may pull a Scotty McCreery and maybe win the whole thing. My problem with her is that her voice is not very strong at all. I could hear her struggling a bit.

The "Meh"

8. Adriana Latonio "Stand Up For Love"- I was very disappointed with this performance...very very disappointed. First of all, what is upppp with this song choice. The song choice=pageanty stuff...the vocals were incredibly rough as well. The performance was void of emotion...robotic. I was expecting something current and upbeat from her. I think that a song from Jojo would've fit her very well. I don't know if Fil-Am support will be enough for her to get to the top 10.

9. Zoanette Johnson "What's Love Got to Do With It"- Zoanette was killed by the song choice...she's at her best with those big "performing arts" songs that allow her to take a lot of liberties with her voice. The thing about Zoanette is that she does a lot with her voice..this is problematic in songs that require you to stay on key...so Zoanette was basically all over the place with this song...she was either pitchy or flat....

10. Breanna Steer "Flaws and All"- I think this was an interesting song choice...I think that it showcased that nice husky tone...i just don't think she's a strong a singer as everybody else....i was bored.

Fearless Forecast
Top 5- Kree, Amber, Candice, Angie, Tenna or Janelle (Aubrey might make it..i hope she does)

No comments:

Post a Comment