Musings of a fickle mind

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Album Review #1: Unbroken by Katharine McPhee

I know it's a little too late to be reviewing this album, as it has been out since January of this year. Anyhow, I really do think this is one of the most underrated albums ever. I honestly do not think it has been getting the attention that it deserves.

Two years after her debut, Katharine McPhee makes a come back with Unbroken (released under new label, Verve, a division of the Universal Music Group [UMG]). She comes back with a new look and sound. She deviates from the generic pop sound she had in her debut, and instead opts for a more organic and mature sound in this new record. Moreover, she has written more material in this album, which makes it even more personal. I believe that with Unbroken, Kat finds her voice and herself as an artist.



Track by Track Review

1. It's Not Right- This is one of the tracks in the album in which Kat allows herself to soar vocally. Her effortless singing coupled with lush instrumentals add to the magic that this song conveys to its listeners. I would recommend listening to this song in full surround sound. Incredible. 9.5/10

2. Had It All- This very radio-friendly tune is the first single off Unbroken. It has this folksy and country vibe, which is very infectious. Moreover, the song has this very catchy hook and chorus, which is very much reminiscent of Daniel Powter's, Bad Day. 8.5/10

3. Keep Drivin'- I admit that I wasn't really digging this tune when I first heard it. I found it dragging and lazy, observing no real climax in the song. The song, however, grew on me. I realized what made the song special was Kat's soft and somewhat smokey (lack of a better word) vocals. It was this element that made the song haunting and sweet. 8/10

4. Last Letter- I could not help but notice how catchy the lyrics of this song are. "It makes me happy to use you a little, to use you a litte, to write this song." Kat effectively channels some angst and anger while singing this song, which was supposedly written for an ex-boyfriend. Although the song somehow lacks in production, and can be mistaken for a demo, Kat's vocals and the catchy lyrics compensate for this. 7.5/10

5. Surrender-Absolutely love Kat's vocals in this song. She showcases versatility and range. What's more, this song shows how Kat has matured not only as an artist, but also as a songwriter. You have got to admit that this song is very poetic, deep and artistic. Love this song. 10/10

6. Terrified- I initially heard this song in an earlier youtube video with songwriters Kara Dioguardi and Jason Reeves performing it. I just could not understand why no artist has recorded this song. When I heard that Kat had this song as part of the line up of songs for her new album, I was completely stoked. I just knew that she would nail it. As expected, she brings it home with an infectious and catchy performance of this mid-tempo ballad. She showcases the gentle and powerful aspects of her voice. Love it. I recommend that everyone listens to her version with Zachary Levi..Talk about vocal chemistry! :D 10/10

7. How-I just love how the song oozes with percussion. Adding to the melodious and foot-tapping beat are the uplifting lyrics. This is a nice feel good song to jam to. Kat's voice just soars in this ballad. Definitely a favorite I can't stop listening to. 9/10

8. Say Goodbye- Haunting. Kat channels the likes of Sarah McLachlan in this simple yet exquisite piano-driven ballad. Kat effectively conveys the dreary and sad emotions of a person saying goodbye to a lover. Emotive and moving. 10/10

9. Faultline- This is another slow ballad which showcases Kat's vocal ability and range. I love how she channels her inner diva in this song, and goes for incredible notes. Setting aside the vocal aspect, the lyrics are stirring and rich. A solid song and performance. 8.5/10

10. Anybody's Heart- A simple yet beautiful song. In contrast to Faultline, Kat sticks to the softer side of her voice. It's as if she's singing a simple lullaby. This song is also one of those lyrically moving songs in the record. 9.5/10

11. Lifetime- A cute mid-tempo track on the record, this song is very much reminiscent of those songs found in feel good commercials. The lyrics are also very meaningful, talking about meaningful moments and life, in general, spent with loved ones. I never get bored with this track. 9/10

12. Unbroken- This is a song Kat co-wrote with the legendary Paula Cole. As anticipated, the lyrics are very heartfelt and rich. Kat's vocals once again shine. Perfect. 10/10

13. Brand New Key- A cover of Melanie Kafka's 70s hit. I initially questioned this song choice. Out of the all the possible covers Kat could've done, she chose a rather unfamiliar song. Then, I realized that she hasn't exactly shown her fun and quirky side in the record. The lyrics found in this record have mostly been emotive and deep. I now knew shy she chose this song. It was to simply have fun. As silly as the lyrics of the song may be, Kat just wanted to play around and have fun! 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment